Friday, April 9, 2010

In less than an hour......

I can create something out of a handfull of pieces of glass or metal. I really like making jewelry - nearly as much as I like cooking or photography. Usually an idea will strike me while I'm doing something else. Often it'll be because I remembered a specific bead I'd gotten and suddenly I knew exactly what to do with it. Other times a specific bead NEEDS to be made into something but initially I'm not sure what to make with it.

 But it nearly always starts simple..... with a single bead, like this one:

Sometimes, beads have a name - often referring to the pattern - this one was called "Pastoral." Other beads are noted by type - kinds of glass, shell, metals etc. These are all different glass beads:

Usually when the beading urge strikes, like it did this evening (while dinner was baking), I hurriedly spread out all my supplies on the kitchen table.....

I absolutely LOVE this bag - I got it for Mother's Day almost 2 years ago and it's PERFECT. It has all these plastic cases with dividers, zippered pockets to hold all my tools and even a place for the bead board.


I knew I wanted to make something with the Pastoral beads but I wasn't sure.... so I pulled out some black beads of different sizes & shapes & started playing around. But, before I show you what the outcome of tonight's fabrication is, I wanted to share some of the other pieces I've made:
Sometimes the pieces are simple, repetitive patterns.
Sometimes the beads themselves are enough - and nothing elaborate is needed to make them look gorgeous

 
Sometimes I find BIG beads and just HAVE to make them into something.....
 This bracelet has only four of the big beads.... it's heavy.... and after you've worn it for a while the stones are warm to the touch.....


Sometimes, there's a little more detail. This one almost floats. Each piece of abalone is secured on the "invisible" cord with a tiny electric blue bead

Sometimes, it's a focal bead that starts it all - like this one 

And speaking of "focal" beads... I saw these three and HAD to have them.... I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but I knew it had to be something BIG:
Ok, so back to the single bead that got me all sorts of inspired tonight. I twiddled my thumbs... I twirled my pony tail.... I washed the smudges and grease splatters off of my glasses (a hazard of cooking so much).... I checked the timer and saw I had just 40 minutes till dinner was done cooking....


So I whipped out this set.....
I read today on Pioneer Woman's blog that the airline had lost her luggage (including her jewelry!)..... This set reminds me of her love story - "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels" - the shiny black glass and Pastoral beads... Hmm.... maybe, if I can bear to part with it I might send it to her.... what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. ship it chic it is awesome!
    i could so see her wearing it. your pieces are so pretty! i especially like the granite green ish looking beads. i see them all the time at crafts stores and i keep thinking i would love a simple bracelet of them but i wuss out when i get everything together to make it.
    lovin the blog....now on to the food part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jewelry looks so nice! I especially like the one with the big stones, the one you said is really heavy. I would like to get into jewelry making but it's just one more hobby to add to the list =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!.......the jewelry you make, Miss Jade, is just truly beautiful!

    I'd like to start making jewelry....can you guide me as to how to start? Classes at Michael's Crafts, maybe? I live in Paradise so I can get to Chico if need be.

    Great work, Sweets!

    ReplyDelete